Like everything else in this world, our face and skin will change as time goes on. While we may not be able to stop it, there are ways that we can help retain our youthfulness for as long as possible. Our Ottawa medical cosmetic professionals discuss the effects of aging on our skin and some of the ways we can help slow down the aging process.
The Effects of Aging
Is it possible to slow down the aging process?
While aging can be a beautiful thing, there is nothing wrong with wanting to slow down the process a little and enjoy our youthful appearance a little longer. After all, aging affects all parts of our bodies, not just the face. While we accept the wisdom that comes with getting older, what can we do to help keep our face and skin youthful? Is this even possible?
What are some ways that you can slow down aging?
Unfortunately, we have not yet created any type of technology that can help us actually stay younger, but there are some things that we can do to slow the aging process down just a little bit. There are a number of ways that you can help manage the visible signs of aging, allowing your youthful, glowing skin to continue shining.
How Nutrition Can Help Slow Down Aging
Nutrition can greatly impact the aging process. By eating foods that contain anti-inflammatory properties, you can help protect the cells as they mature and divide.
The opposite is said for when you ingest a large number of inflammatory foods. In these cases, you may begin to witness the visible signs of aging earlier than before.
Foods that reduce inflammation
- Fresh fruits, like strawberries, blueberries, and oranges
- Leafy green vegetables, like spinach and kale
- Olive oil
- Fish that contain omega-3 fatty acids, like mackerel, salmon, and tuna
- Nuts, like almonds and walnuts
Foods that increase inflammation
- Added sugar, particularly high-fructose corn syrup that is commonly found in beverages, pastries, and desserts
- Trans fats in fried food, processed snack foods, donuts, and margarine
- Processed meats, like bologna, sausage, bacon, salami, and beef jerky
- Refined carbohydrates, like white rice, white potatoes, many types of cereals, and bread and crackers made from white flour
- Excess amounts of omega-6 fatty acids in mayonnaise, many salad dressings, and vegetable oils, like corn, safflower, and soy
How You Can Slow Aging With Physical Exercise
Just as it can help with your overall body and heart health, physical exercise can also help with skin health. You can help slow down aging by keeping a consistent daily exercise regime and staying active whenever possible.
- Try to get up and move around every 30 minutes.
- If you are taking a call, get up and stand or move around.
- When you have a break, either during work or at home, be sure to get up.
- Try to park a little further from the doors when shopping.
- Take the stairs instead of an elevator or escalator.
- Do physical chores in and around the house.
Increase Heart Rate
Aerobic activity occurs when you breathe harder than normal and your heart rate increases. This is an easy way to help slow down the aging process.
- Aim for 150 minutes of moderate aerobic activity or 75 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity each week.
- Strength training can help improve bone health and reduces the risk of weak, thin bones (osteoporosis).
Brain Exercises to Age Slower and Stay Sharp
Mental exercise is also one of the key elements of quality aging. By preserving a healthy, active and inventive brain, you can keep it functioning at an optimal level. A good night’s sleep can help you look younger but it also keeps the brain healthy too.
Stress Relief to Help Slow Down Aging
Stress is one of the leading factors in premature aging and death. While reducing stress can help significantly with your mental health it can also help decrease the risk of conditions such as heart attack, stroke, diabetes, depression, immune disorders, migraines, and heartburn, nausea and other gastrointestinal concerns.
Tips to Manage Stress
Meditate. Meditation can not only help to manage stress but also your emotions. With as little as one hour of meditation a week, you can help to relax your mind and have a more positive, joyful outlook.
Be social. Being socially active can help reduce stress and increase your sense of happiness and well-being. Try to spend as much time as possible with friends, family, community organizations and in groups that involve your favourite activities and hobbies.
Move your body. Ongoing daily exercise can help reduce the chemicals in your body and brain that cause stress. By being active, you support your physical and mental health. This helps to reduce stress and in turn the visible signs of aging in your skin.
Develop gratitude. By spending each day practicing gratitude, you can help to turn each day of your life into a positive experience. This can increase your happiness. When you are happy, your skin is too!
How Sleep is Important to Help You Age Slower
Sleep is one of the most important factors when it comes to both your physical and mental health. When you sleep your body can dedicate all of its energy to healing and repairing. Along with this, getting a great night's sleep means that you will wake up restful and ready to take on the day.
If you do not get enough sleep then you risk emotional and mental concerns such as depression, as well as physical factors including obesity, infections, heart disease, or even early death.
Here are some tips to help you sleep better:
- Establish a sleep routine. Schedule your sleep for the same time every day, regardless of the day of the week.
- Avoid screen and mental stimulation in the time leading up to sleep. Try to relax and wind down.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine before bedtime. These will affect your ability to fall asleep or get restorative sleep.
- Keep your bedroom quiet, cool, and dim. This is the ideal environment for getting good sleep.
Slow Down Aging With an Appropriate Skincare Regime
As you begin to age, your skin, especially around your face, will be the first to show the signs of aging with fine lines and wrinkles, sun spots and pigmentation. Luckily there are natural vitamins and antioxidants that can help slow down the signs of aging. One of the vitamins that is most commonly used to help prevent and reduce the appearance of aging skin is vitamin A. By using skin care products that contain this and other vitamins you can help protect your skin and its youthfulness.
By using a combination of vitamins A, C and E, antioxidants and peptides, as well as exfoliating regularly, you can help show off healthy, radiant skin well into the aging process.
Our medical cosmetic professionals at Pure Medical Cosmetics can work with you to develop a skincare regime that can help slow down the visible signs of aging.
What are some medical cosmetic services that can help you slow down the aging process?
While weight, environmental factors and genetics can all play a role in the development of fine lines, wrinkles and discolouration, there are medical cosmetic services that, when combined with nutrition, activity and other healthy habits, can help you slow down the inevitable effects of aging.
Here are some of the cosmetic treatment options that we offer Ottawa to help you achieve radiant, youthful skin.
- IPL Treatment
- Botox Injections
- Chemical Peel
- Dermal Fillers
- Double Chin Treatment
- Facial Rejuvenation
- Spa Facials
Products to Help Slow Down Aging in Your Face, Hands and Skin
At Pure Medical Cosmetics we offer a range of skincare products from Zo Skin Care and Nelly DeVuyst to help you build the foundation of good skin health and help slow down the signs of aging in the comfort of your home.
Nelly De Vuyst® is a premium skincare brand with a longstanding reputation as one of the most effective, anti-aging and corrective skin care lines on the market that is compatible with all medical aesthetic practices.
ZO Skin Health
ZO® Skin Health provides comprehensive solutions for creating and maintaining healthy skin. From correcting sun damage + pigmentation to preventing + protecting against future damage, ZO® has your skin health covered.